Thank you so much for visiting! Follow my blog to keep up with my crazy, beautiful life!

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Eulogy for my best friend

Most everyone knows my brother passed away in March from the cancer Melanoma. He was hands down my best friend, love of my life (aside from Zachary), and one of the best men I have ever known. Somedays, I grieve him so badly. Others, I can smile and think about how much he gave and taught me in the 22 years I knew him. Today is a mix of both grief and happiness. I want to share our story.

Shane was 8 years older than me, a fact that was very evident when we were younger, but didn't matter as we got older. He was my protector from the very beginning, and the biggest pain in my butt. My daddy told him his job was to be a good big brother and make sure no one ever hurt me. Shane did this in two ways: when I was little, he fought for me. When I got older, he taught me to fight for myself.
When I was about 3-4, these kids knocked me down when I got off the bus. I told Shane about it, and the next day as they were riding by our house on their bikes, he ran outside with his baseball bat. He chased them all the way home, until they went inside.
He used to wrestle me to the ground, starting at around 6 years old, and MAKE me fight my way back up. My very first day of high school, a senior boy touched my butt, and I turned around and bloodied his nose. I got in HUGE trouble at school, but Shane was so proud of my right hook. He wasn't so proud when I used it on him when I was 16.
I was always so proud to be his sister, and he was so proud to be my big brother. We were always there for each other, even when he made me fighting mad. Watching him battle his addiction in his early twenties, and celebrating his recovery after a year clean, was when we got to be our closest. He over came SO much in his short 30 years, even a divorce that some would have never came back from. He had the best smile of any one I have known, and all he had to do was flash it to get his way. He had the biggest heart and NEVER spoke unkindly about anyone. He was a friend anyone would have been blessed to have.
At my high school graduation, even from the football field, I could hear my brother cheering the loudest of anyone. He came to my college my first semester and had lunch on campus and gushed at how proud he was of me. He walked me down the aisle and gave me away to my husband. He attended my baby shower when Zachary was working in FL, and I was still in GA. He sat next to me and helped me open my gifts and shared all the excitement in the world with me becoming a mother. He helped me pack and move TWICE in 2 months, in the middle of summer, while he was battling cancer. He bought and made sure the brakes were changed on my car before I got on the road to FL. I could depend on him for anything

Where I struggle now is, Savannah. He met her at Christmas, and those pictures are ones I will cherish forever. He was such a proud uncle, and Savannah is so blessed to have him as her angel. My anger comes because he deserved to help Zach and I raise her. That was our plan. He was going to be in every aspect of her life. He told me I couldn't keep him away. When Shane was in the hospital right at then end, he couldn't walk, lift his head, or even open his eyes some days. I took her to see him, and he couldn't hold her, but he laid her on his belly and talked to her. He loved all over her and told her how amazing she was and all the things they would do together. He deserved to do all that and more.

Shane was an amazing person. My children will all know him from pictures and stories. His memory will never fade, and I will be eternally grateful to have called him brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment